Sunday, March 31, 2013

A Divided Church and State?

It's Easter Sunday and a lot of things just stood out to me today. On the news, there was a lot of talk of Easter and the story behind it. The newscasters showcased the speech that the pope made about Easter and the speeches of various other bishops and priests. Today I saw that though American puts itself as a secular state, we are not as divided as we think. We believe in the division of church and state. The more of I think of this, the less I see of it. Today, Easter, which is a Christian holiday, was celebrated on TV. The pledge of allegiance that students are required to say almost every single morning references god. The American dollar bill and American coins have the phrase "In God we Trust." Religion is a huge part of the American culture. I didn't think that it was before. It seems as though Americans are becoming less religious and "modern" every single day. I'm not saying that that is a bad thing, but before these past couple of weeks, I didn't see America has a religious country. Now, I see that religion may not be the biggest part of this country, but it is a significant chunk of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment