Saturday, March 9, 2013

Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow

I've noticed that whenever I am in the vicinity of people who are my parents age, they will all ask me what I want to be when I grow up. I usually just go "ahhh", and "umm", and then I finally end up saying "I have no idea what to do with my life." At this point, I kind of feel a little ashamed that I don't know where I want to go. It feels like so many kids have their lives planned out from right now. It makes me feel like I am behind in the race that is life.

Of course, I have time to figure things out. I don't really have to know what I want to do for a very long time. So why are people here so obsessed with what the future is supposed to be? If they are not asking me about my future potential job, they're asking me where I want to go to college (to which I reply "I have no idea"), or what I plan on doing in order to study for the SATs. The kids here at school are starting classes this summer to study for the SATs. We don't really have to take the stupid test until April of next year! That's a lot of future planning. If the adults aren't asking me about the SATs, they're asking about what classes I am going to take next year. It's a constant interrogation about my future. I'm not even sure about my present.

Usually I have no problem with people asking about what I am going to do with my life. Recently though, all I can think about is how many different people have asked me this same exact question. Now that I'm in the tenth grade, there are even more people asking me so many questions about the future. Why can I not focus on the present and enjoy what I have today before it is gone tomorrow? I think that future planning is a good thing. But people are asking what I plan to do with my entire life when I am on the brink of turning sixteen. What do I know about life?

I've really come to see how people are so preoccupied with what is going to happen later. We're all so fixated on accomplishing things now so that tomorrow is "better." I don't want to be asked what college I am going to go to. I don't want to be asked what I want to do with my life. I just want to live my life and enjoy every day as it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment