Friday, April 5, 2013

Magical Movies

I've spent my springbreak sitting on my couch reading and watching various movies. Yeah, it's a lazy vacation, but it's definitely a relaxing one. I saw that movies have three things in common (most of the time.) There's a love interest, there's some action, and more and more often there's a hint of the supernatural. Supernatural/magic/science fiction movies are very common and very successful in the United States. People will rush to the theaters to watch them. The Twilight Saga was a huge hit as was Harry Potter. Various superhero movies come out every single year and most of them are big successes. Avatar was another movie that brought in a lot of money. Don't even get me started on the numerous amount of apocolypse movies there are out there. So what is it about the "fictional" genre that the American people love so much???
These types of movie are not practical everywhere. In India, a movie like Avatar would never work. Superhero movies would never work. Harry Potter would never work. Sometimes, my relatives in India will go see the occasional English film. If they're feeling daring, they'll go see a sci-fi film. Whenever I ask them what they think of that movie, they all reply with the same thing - it was okay.
I think the American culture enjoys a touch of the magical because they believe in miracles. Why? I don't know. But maybe that's the reason the supernatural/magic/science fictions movies do so well in this country. Because we all like a little bit of magic.

1 comment:

  1. I think that Americans like fictional movies so much because they are our escape from the real world. It is refreshing- at least to me- to watch something fun and mystical after doing a ton of homework. I don't want to watch a documentary to learn about something when I just spent so much of my time learning something else for school.

    ReplyDelete