Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Worldliness Of Einstein

I forget where I saw this picture. Probably Facebook which is ironic in itself. I recently looked the picture up again because I remember being struck by it the first time I read it. It's a pretty logical fear and a fear that is slowly becoming a reality. When I go to dinner with my families, I see teenagers on dates. Both teenagers are usually on their phones instead of conversing with each other. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a date? People will choose to text instead of call. They'll email or Facebook message instead of sending a good old letter. It's weird to see what the world has come to.

I think Americans are the most social people in the world sometimes. They're open, always ready to help and completely honest. I'm not stereotyping, these are the experiences I've had. If technology surpasses human interaction, which is quickly beginning to happen, what will happen to the culture of America? Already, teenagers don't know how to talk to authority figures because most interactions with teachers or principals are done over email. When those teens grow up, how will they talk to their boss in a board meeting? 

Technology is a beautiful thing, but I feel as though it is beginning to take over the American mind. I got an iPhone for my birthday. I took it to my cousins house and he laughed and stated that the iPhone was simply a fashion statement among girls and that his Samsung Galaxy something was so much better. 
Um, who cares? 
I guess the iPhone is a fashion statement. Like a "look I have an iPhone, I'm totally cool now!" kind of thing. It's taken over human interaction because it's made it easier to chat, to text, to video-chat through "Facetime." One day, we may all just work from home and never see each other face to face. Einstein had a legit fear that is coming true. The question is, do we stop it? Or do we allow it to flourish and ultimately suppress human interaction in the American society? 

No comments:

Post a Comment