Sunday, May 12, 2013

Spring Days = Spring Cleaning = Mother's Day

With Spring Days comes the idea of spring cleaning. Maybe I'm a little late in talking about this because I'm pretty sure that spring cleaning is in like April, but April was too cold this year so let's say that spring cleaning is in May.

I hate spring cleaning.

I'm not a neat freak. If my clothes are strewn around my desk chair (which they always are) I don't really mind. My parent's thankfully don't go on this cleaning binge. Everyone else I know does. I don't know any other culture that involves themselves in spring cleaning. It seems like a totally American concept.  I have no idea where spring cleaning comes from or why it seems to be ingrained in the American culture.

Another thing that relates to spring is Mother's Day. The Westernized countries were the only countries with this concept of Mother's Day until very recently. When my mom was growing up in India, there was no such things as Mother's Day. Now there is. But that's probably because India is becoming more and more of a Western power every day. Mother's Day celebrates the individuals who raise us. It definitely is a very individualist thing that is found in pretty much every individualist culture. In other societies, it isn't just the mother who raises her young. It's the aunts and uncles and the grandparents and even the neighbors down the street. Here, mother's raise their kids and that its. That's why we have a Mother's Day. That's why other countries don't.

                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment